In this Article, we have provided the Botany GATE Question Papers along with Solutions. So, the interested candidates who applied for jobs in Botany GATE can download Botany GATE Question Papers for free of cost. Get all the Botany GATE Question Papers with just one click. Click on the enclosed links below to download the Botany GATE Question Papers.
Check the Last five years Botany GATE Question Papers to get a clear idea of the exam pattern. Along with Botany GATE Question Papers, it’s better to refer Botany GATE Syllabus & Exam Pattern before starting preparation. So, click on link to check and download Botany GATE Question Papers PDF.
Question Papers of Botany GATE
1. Which of the following is a repressor of gibberellin signalling ?
2. Lampbrush chromosomes are seen in which stage of cell division ?
3. Which of the following culture technique is most suitable for the production of secondary metabolite ?
(1) Protoplast culture
(2) Suspension culture
(3) Anther culture
(4) Embryo culture
4. DNA-dependent RNA polymerase catalyses transcription on one strand of the DNA, which is known as the
(1) Coding strand
(2) Prime strand
(4) Template strand
5. Which one of the following is not a second messenger in signalling pathways ?
6. Penicillin is toxic to many bacteria because
(1) It interferes with DNA replication.
(2) It inhibits transcription.
(3) It blocks protein synthesis.
(4) It inhibits cell wall formation.
7. Which one of the following is one of the steps of plant introduction which involves legal enforcement or restrictions on the movement of pest infected plant material or unwanted weeds from one country to another ?
8. Aquaporins are cell membrane protein channels controlling the selective movement of
(4) Sodium ions
9. Nod factors produced by nitrogen fixing bacteria are
(1) Calcium binding proteins
(2) Lipochitin oligosaccharides
(4) Zinc finger motif
10. Which of the following mRNAs has correct information for being translated completely ?
(1) 5’AUG UGA UUA AAG AAA 3′
(2) 5’AUG UAC UGA CCC CUG 3′
(3) 5’AGU UCC AGA ACG AAG 3’
(4) 5’AUG UAC AGU GGC UAG 3′
11. In recombinant DNA technology, after separation of radioactively labelled DNA they can be detected by placing the gel in contact with the sheet of X-ray film. This technique is called
12. Proteins which play important role in structural maintenance of chromosomes are
(1) Actin and elastin
(3) Cohesins and condensins
(4) Rho factors
13. What is the length of Okazaki fragments in Escherichia coli ?
(1) 1000 to 2000 nucleotides
(2) 500 to 1000 nucleotides
(3) 300 to 500 nucleotides
(4) 100 to 200 nucleotides
14. Regions of DNA with a palindrome sequence have a potential to form
(1) Hairpin structure
(2) Mirror repeat
(3) Hoogsteen pairing
15. A plasmid can be distinguished from bacterial chromosomal DNA by which one of the following technique ?
(2) Colony hybridization
(3) Somatic hybridization
16. The unusual property of Taq polymerase that is crucial for a polymerase chain reaction is its
(1) ability to use dNTP’s as substrate
(2) ability to use ddNTP’s as substrate
(3) ability to use RNA as template
(4) it’s thermostability
17. The ribosomal peptidyl transferase center resides in
(1) Large ribosomal subunit
(2) Small ribosomal subunit
(3) Acceptor arm of tRNA
(4) Anticodon loop of tRNA
18. Which one of the following enzyme “Splice” together two pieces of DNA that have been cut by the same restriction endonuclease ?
19. Which of the following is the receptor of the two-component system in bacterial signalling ?
(1) Receptor His. Kinase
(2) β -andrenergic receptor
(4) Receptor Tyr. Kinase
20. If the DNA sequence in human is TTAGGG, that of Tetrahymena thermophila is TTGGGG and that of the plant Arabidopsis thaliana is TTTAGGG, then this sequence represent
(1) Transposable element
21. Which one of the following is not a photosynthetic pigment ?
22. Which statement about chloroplast is correct ?
(1) Chlorophast proteins are encoded only by chloroplastic DNA.
(2) Chloroplast genes exhibit Mendelian patterns of inheritance.
(3) Chloroplast reproduce by binary fission rather than by de novo synthesis.
(4) Chloroplast is an autonomous cell organelle.
23. Which one of the following techniques is used to determine the location of the binding site of a specific protein in a DNA sequence ?
(1) DNA finger printing
(2) DNase I foot printing
(3) Two hybrid Assay
(4) Polymerase chain reaction
24. When ultraviolet light passes through a solution of DNA, maximum absorption takes places at a wavelength of about
(1) 300 nm
(2) 280 nm
(3) 260 nm
(4) 400 nm
25. A shuttle vector is
(1) a plasmid capable of replicating in one organism.
(2) a plasmid capable’ of accepting large DNA inserts.
(3) a vector incapable of replicating in human cells.
(4) a vector capable of replicating in two different hosts.
26. Which one of the following is a mitochondrial marker enzyme ?
(2) Acid phosphatase
(3) Succinate dehydrogenase
(4) Pyruvate dehydrogenase
27. Which one of the following phenomenon does not take place in plants during flooding and soil compactation ?
(1) Reduced respiration
(2) Fermentative metabolism
(3) ROS production
(4) Opening of stomata
28. Which one of the following method is made use of when probability of occurrence of rare events is very small ?
(1) Normal distribution
(2) Binomial distribution
(3) Poisson distribution
(4) Average distribution
29. Which one of the following enzyme is not a part of ROS scavenging process ?
(1) Superoxide dismutase
(3) Ascorbate peroxidase
30. Chloroplast transformation has become an important technique in plant biotechnology because
(1) expressed proteins are processed properly.
(2) very large transgene copy number may be obtained.
(3) transmission of plastids through pollen is high.
(4) integration of a transgene is unpredicted and random.
31. During day time, CAM (Crassulacean Acid Metabolizing) plants procure CO, for photosynthesis from
(1) Pyruvic acid
(2) Oxaloacetic acid
(3) Oxalic acid
(4) Malic acid
32. A mirror-imaged abnormal chromosome consisting of two copies of either a short arm or a Jong arm is characteristic feature of
(2) Sex chromosome
(3) Salivary gland chromosome
(4) Philadelphia chromosome
33. Genes that exhibit criss-cross inheritance are
(1) Dominant genes
(2) Codominant genes
(3) Sex-linked genes
(4) Sex-limited genes
34. Transgenic plants can act as living bioreactors for the production of useful chemicals and pharmaceuticals. This is known as
(1) Agriculture farming
(2) Molecular farming
(3) Organic farming
35. In aqueous solution, the acridine molecules bind to DNA inserting between adjacent base pairs. The process is called
36. Which one of the following is not an example of episome ?
(1) Sex factor
(3) IS elements
(4) Sigma factor
37. Which one of the following banding pattern allows precise identification of different chromosome pairs and structural chromosome rearrangements ?
38. The positively charged amino acids present in histones include
(1) Lysine and Arginine
(2) Alanine and Glycine
(3) Histidine and Serine
(4) Tyrosine and Cysteine
39. Which of the following growth hormone is related to insect and disease resistance in plants ?
40. Embryo rescue technique plays an important role in producing
(1) Seedless fruits
(2) Haploid plants
(3) Interspecific and intergeneric hybrids
41. In which of the following DNA molecules are copied using the rolling circle replication process ?
(2) B genome
(3) Yeast genome
(4) Drosophila genome
42. Chi sites are associated with
(2) Homologous recombination
(3) RNA splicing
(4) DNA repair
43. In the primary cell wall of all dicot species and in many of the monocot species, the principal cross-linking glycans are
44. Which of the following central body is associated with collection, introduction, documentation, evaluation, maintenance, exchange and distribution of plant material of agri-horticultural crops in India ?
(1) Forest Research Institute, Dehradun
(2) National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi
(3) Botanical Survey of India
(4) Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack
45. Which one of the techniques is not employed for study of proteome ?
(1) Mass spectrometry
(3) 2-D gel electrophoresis
46. Radial movement of water in the root is through
(4) All of these
47. Which one of the following statements is not correct regarding vivipary ?
(1) Seed germinate within the fruit while it is still attached to the mother plant.
(2) It usually occurs in plants growing under shallow marine habitats.
(3) It occurs in the mangrove plants.
(4) It involves a dormancy period for the seed.
48. Circadian rhythm in plants was studied for the first time by
(1) Carolus Linnaeus, 1751
(2) M. De Mairan, 1729
(3) Borthwick and Hendricks, 1950
(4) Garner and Allard, 1920
49. The primary hormones regulating seed dormancy in plants are
(1) Abscisic acid and Gibberellins
(2) Gibberellins and Cytokinins
(3) Auxins and Ethylene
(4) Auxins and Cytokinins
50. Increased genetic diversity following extended time in plant tissue culture is called
(1) Gene knockout
(2) Gene inactivation
(3) Somaclonal variation