Are you eagerly waiting for the narration change of Interrogative sentence exercise? Don’t you have enough money to buy books for preparing the narration change of Interrogative sentence written exam? Here, we have attached the last 5-year narration change of Interrogative sentence Question Paper Pdf. Refer the narration change Interrogative sentence exercise before starting the preparation. Reading the direct indirect Interrogative sentence exercise Old Papers not only helps you to be aware of the previous year questions. But also, you can sharpen your competitive examination, Skills.
Narration Change Rules for Interrogative Sentence
In converting such sentences
- change the reporting verb into ask or enquire;
- then add whether or if, if the question admits of one of the two answers yes or no; but do not add whether or if, if the question is introduced by an interrogative pronoun, or adjective, or adverb (viz. who, which, what, why, when, where, how, etc.);
- and change the interrogative form into a statement.
In an interrogative sentence, the subject usually comes after the verb but on being a statement, the verb will follow the subject.
The conjunction “that” is never used in such cases.
|He said to me, “Are you ill?”
||He asked (or enquired of) me if (or whether) I was ill.
|You said to me, “Do you hear me?”
||You asked me if I heard you.
|Ram said to me, ”Can you speak French ?”
||Ram asked (or enquired of) me if I could speak French.
|He said to me, “What are you doing?”
||He asked me what I was doing.
|He said to me, “When will you go home?”
||He enquired of me when I would go home.
|You said to me, “Why have you failed?”
||You asked me why I had failed.
(i) No question mark (?) is used in indirect speech.
(ii) If the introducing verb itself is interrogative, the reported speech is followed by an interrogative mark:
Did she tell you why she went there?
Worked Out Examples Direct to Indirect Reported Speech.
|Ram said to me, “Are you well”?
||Ram asked (or, enquired of) me if (or, whether) I was well.
|He said to me, “What is your name?”
||He asked me what my name was.
|She said, “Are the books good ?”
||She enquired if the books were good.
|I said to him, “Do you like it?”
||I asked (or, enquired of) him if he liked it.
|I said to him, “Did you go there?”‘
||I asked him if I had gone there.
|She said to me, “Am I not tall?”
||She asked me if she was not tall.
|I said to him, “Will you go there?”
||I asked him if he would go there.
|He said to me, “Do you have a sister?”
||He asked me if I had a sister.
|I said to him, “What is your name?”
||I asked him what his name was.
|He said to me, “How old are you?”
||He asked me how old I was.
|You said to me, “Who is your teacher?”
||You asked me who my teacher was.
|I said to him. Why is she crying?”
||I asked him why she was crying.
|She said, “May I help you ?”
||She asked if she might help me.
Direct and Indirect Speech Interrogative Sentences Exercises with Answers
Direct to indirect speech interrogative sentences Question Papers: Aspirants who are looking for reported speech interrogative sentences can find in this section. Along with reported speech interrogative sentences, its better to refer reported speech interrogative sentences question Pattern before starting preparation. So, click on link to check and download reported speech interrogative sentences PDF.
1. He said to me, “Are you ready?”
2. Tithi said to her sister, “What is a bake sale?”
3. The Headmaster said to me, “Do you know him?”
4. She said to me, “When will you go home?”
5. He said to me, “Who goes there?”
6. Her mother said to Sugata, “Why don’t you tear the wrapper?”
7. He said to me, “What is your name?”
8. “Can you see a woman seated at a table?” he asked her.
9. “How did you do that?” they asked Edison.
10. I said to him, “Do you know the man?”
11. I said to him, “Shall I reach the village before dawn?”
12. The boy said to him, “Are the mangoes ripe?”
13. Father said to me “Will you go there?”
14. “Would you sing for our visitors?” my mother said to my sister.
15. The stranger said to me, “Where is the office?”
16. The girl said, “Shall I go out for shopping?”
17. Pulkit said to Pritha, “Do you know that the bees collect nectar from flowers?”
18. The bee said to the butterfly, “Are you proud of your charming and colourful wings? Which family do you belong to?”
19. “Have you brought a bat for me?” the girl said to her father.
20. “Why doesn’t she talk to me any more?” I thought.
21. “Where do you live?” asked the stranger.
22. “Who was the first man to fly in space?” the examiner asked the boy.
23. Swapan said to his mother, “What was that noise?”
24. I said to the man, “Whom do you want?”
25. “Are you weeping?” he asked her.
26. I said to her, ‘Have you seen my brother?”
27. Nandini said to the new student, “Which school do you come from?”
28. The mad man said to the actor, “Are you a Royal Bengal Tiger?”
29. I said to the man, “Who are you?”
30. Munmun said to Kalida, “Why are you standing in the rain? Aren’t you getting wet?”
31. Nikhil said to me, “Shall I wait for you for an hour?”
32. “Do you suppose you know better than your own father?” jeered his angry mother.
33. Joyita said to Indranil, “Didn’t you ask that child?”
34. Indranil said to Soumya, “Did you say money?”
35. The eagle said to the crow, “Don’t you ever like to fly high in the sky?”
36. He said to me, ‘When did you reach the station?’
37. The police said to me, “Can you show your EPIC?”
38. The judge said to me, “Don’t you know the suspect?”
39. Mridula said to her maid, “Who looks after your child?”
40. He said to me, ‘How are you?’
41. “Does she require any help?” the old man asked me.
42. Sonu said to the teacher, “Don’t the stripes of a tiger help it to hide in the jungle?”
43. “Is not poverty a curse?” my father said to me.
44. Swarnadeepa said to her friend, “What did the man tell you?”
45. He said to me, “Which book do you want?”
46. My brother said to me, “Will you not go to the show?”
47. The old man said to the newcomer, “Who is there? Is that Gopal?”
48. “Why are you weeping?” the Swallow asked the Prince.
49. Adrij said to Krishna, “Does Mr. Arjun work in your company?”
50. “Do you know the way to the station?” She said to Mahim.
51. He said to me, “What are you doing?”
52. Ranu said to the street-child, “Where do you stay at night?”
53. The teacher said to me, “What is your name?”
54. I said to the boy, “Did you go to school?”
55. “When will you come back?” the Prince said to the Swallow.
Answers of the Above Exercises
1. He asked me (or, enquired of me) If I was ready.
2. Tithi asked her sister what a bake sale was.
3. The Headmaster asked if I knew the boy.
4. She enquired of me when I would go home.
5. He enquired of me who went there.
6. Her mother asked Sugata why he did not tear the wrapper.
7. He asked me what my name was.
8. He asked her if she could see a woman seated at a table.
9. They asked Edison how he had done that.
10. I asked him if he knew the man.
11. I asked him if I would reach the village before dawn.
12. The boy asked him if the mangoes were ripe.
13. Father asked me if (whether) I would go there.
14. My mother asked my sister if she would sing for our visitors.
15. The stranger asked me where the office was.
16. The girl asked if she would go out for shopping.
17. Pulkit asked Pritha if she knew that the bees collect nectar from flowers.
18. The bee asked the butterfly if it was proud of its charming an colourful wings and also asked which family it belonged to.
19. The girl asked her father if he had brought a bat for her.
20. I thought to myself why she did not talk to me any more.
21. The stranger asked (him) where he lived.
22. The examiner asked the boy who was the first man to fly in space.
23. Swapan asked his mother what that noise had been.
24. I asked the man whom he wanted.
25. He asked her if she was weeping.
26. I asked her if she had seen my brother.
27. Nandini asked the new student which school he came from.
28. The mad man asked the actor if he was a Royal Bengal Tiger.
29. I asked the man who he was.
30. Munmun asked Kalida why he was standing in the rain and also asked if he was not getting wet.
31. Nikhil asked me if he should wait for me for an hour.
32. His mother angrily asked (enquired) whether he supposed that he knew better than his own father.
33. Joyita asked Indranil if he had not asked that child.
34. Indranil asked Soumya if he had said money.
35. The eagle asked the crow if it never liked to fly high in the sky.
36. He asked me when I had reached the station.
37. The police asked me if I could show my EPIC.
38. The judge asked me whether I did not know the suspect.
39. Mridula asked her maid who looked after her child.
40. He asked me how I was.
41. The old man asked me if she required any help.
42. Sonu asked the teacher whether the stripes of a tiger did no help it to hide in the jungle.
43. My father asked me if poverty was (is) not a curse.
44. Swarnadeepa asked her friend what the man had told him.
45. He asked me which book I wanted.
46. My brother asked me if I would not go to the show.
47. The old man asked the newcomer who was there and also asked if that was Gopal.
48. The Swallow enquired of the Prince why he was weeping.
49. Adrij asked Krishna if Mr. Arjun worked in his company.
50. She asked Mahim if (whether) he knew the way to the station.
51. He asked me what I was doing.
52. Ranu asked the street-child where he stayed at night.
53. The teacher asked me what my name was.
54. I asked (enquired of) the boy if he had gone to school.
55. The Prince asked the Swallow when he would come back.