West Bengal School Service Commission Previous Year Question Paper English
1. Read the sentences carefully.
(I) The money was divided between Rita, Ramesh and Sujoy.
(II) The money was divided among Rita, Ramesh and Sujoy.
Now tick the correct answer.
(A) only (I) is correct
(B) only (II) is correct
(C) both (I) and (II) are correct
(D) both (I) and (II) are incorrect
Direction for Question Nos. 2 to 7 Choose the best alternative of the words underlined:
2. His fidelity to the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi was exemplary.
3. It was magnanimity to overlook such remarks
4. Raju works for a paltry sum in a provision store
5. Incensed by his rude behaviour the employer sacked him
West Bangal School Service Commission Clerk / Group D Preparation 2016
6. Amity between neighbouring countries is always beneficial to the public
7. Forsaken by her friends, she sank deeper into depression
8. Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions from the options given.
The girl is a descendant ___ the royal family.
The friends descended _____ the hill
(A) of, from
(B) of, of
(C) from, of
(D) from, off
9. Fill in the blank.
I, who ___________ your friend, will help you in need
Direction for Question Nos. 10 to 15 Fill in the blank with the correct alternative:
10. That which cannot be conquered ____
11. The art of making maps and charts _______
12. Occurring after death ____________
(D) Post mortem
13. To pour oil over troubled waters ________
(A) to pilfer
(B) to postpone
(C) to make peace
(D) to detest
14. The study of stars __________
15. One who walks in sleep _____________
Direction for Question Nos. 16 to 21
Find out the words opposite in meaning of the expressions underlined in the following sentences :
16. The dealer has vouched for the antique authenticity
17. Some people feign illness to avoid having to work
18. I must concede that you are right
19. Efforts were made to salvage the sinking ship.
20. You could embellish your blazer with a rose
21. Due to the quake, thousands feared an imminent collapse.
22. Fill in the blank with the appropriate phrasal verb.
The old man stands very little chance of recovery as his age ___ him.
(A) catches out
(B) dies out
(C) counts against
(D) drags down
23. Choose the correct sentence
(A) As soon as I will get my salary, I will buy a car
(B) As soon as I shall get my salary, l will buy a car.
(C) As soon as I will get my salary, I shall buy a car
(D) As soon as I get my salary, I will buy a car.
24. Select the alternative which best expresses the passive form of the sentence given.
The Romans expected to conquer Carthage
(A) Carthage expected the Romans to conquer it .
(B) It is expected that Romans would conquer Carthage
(C) It was expected by the Romans that they would conquer Carthage
(D) Carthage is conquered by the Romans
25. Select the alternative which best expresses the indirect form of the sentence given.
He said to him, “Is not your name John?”
(A) He enquired whether his name is not John.
(B) He enquired whether his name was not John.
(C) He asked if his name is John.
(D) He enquired that his name is not John.
26. Choose the correct option to fill in the blank.
The boys started for a ____________ walk
(A) ten miles
(B) ten mile
(C) tens mile
(D) tens of miles
27. Select the alternative which best joins the given two sentences with a Gerund.
The people cheered the king. They waved their hats and handkerchiefs.
(A) The people cheered the king as they waved their hats and handkerchiefs.
(B) People waved their hats and handkerchiefs, as they cheered the king.
(C) The king was cheered by the people as they waved their hits and handkerchiefs.
(D) Waving their hats and handkerchiefs, the people cheered the king.
28. Which of the following sentences has a Noun clause?
(A) He fled where his pursuers could not follow him.
(B) We eat that we may live.
(C) It is certain that he will be late.
(D) He finished first though the began late.
29. Which of the following sentences is an example of a compound sentence?
(A) The man, being very hungry, ate too much.
(B) The ink had dried up and l could not write.
(C) Against the wishes of his family he left school.
(D) He lost more than he could afford.
30. In the following question, the sentence is split into four parts and named P, Q, R and S. These four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentence and find out which of the four combinations is correct.
As the boxers (P) allow them to fight (Q) the people said (R) advanced into the ring (S) they would not
The West Bengal School Service Commission RLST Non Technical Group C, Clerk, Group D Peon, Night Guard, Attendant, Matron Previous Years Papers available on this page. Free download links of West Bengal School Service Commission RLST Non Technical Group C Clerk, Group D Exam Papers. The free downloading links of the WBSSC Group C, Clerk, Group D Previous Papers are provided below. Interested candidates can click on the links to get the WBSSC Exam Question Papers. We are also providing the Free Today’s Current Affairs Questions and Quiz on General Knowledge. So, the applicants can make of these WBSSC RLST Sample Question Papers and also practice the GK & Current Affairs Questions.